Monday, October 31, 2011

REVIEW: Minitube 1.5.1


When I first installed Ubuntu in my laptop, Minitube was part of the package (I think, it was there). I gave it a try, did not like it, uninstalled it. 

It wasn't until I was browsing the Ubuntu Software Center last week that I decided to reinstall it. There were a lot of reviews, thought I might as well give it another go.

PROs
  • Fast.
  • Nice GUI.
  • I love the search engine, opening screen and top right of the window.
  • Sounds are good.
  • There is not a lot of clutter on the window, you have the menu buttons, the viewing window and the search list.
  • I love that you can download the clips with just one click!
  • Downloading is fast!
  • Downloads are available in different formats. (the selection is fair enough)
  • You can change the quality of the clips. 
  • Search history :-)


CONs
  • No "Like" button. (Yes, I know that Minitube is mainly for viewing - but we'd like to give good videos a thumbs up)
  • No "Share" button upfront. (If we have the download button, why can't we have a share button?)
  • On the download screen, there is no button to clear what you have downloaded during that session. (However, downloaded clips will be deleted automatically when you close the app - but I still wanted to be able to delete it during that session.)
  • It keeps going to the next clip after the first one finishes - it's so annoying, I do not want to see the next clip!

Have you tried using Minitube before? What do you think?

Updated (11/1/11): Version 1.6 of Minitube was released on 10/9 - new feature includes sharing of videos to social network sites - I am still doing some research on how the hell I can update it. (I really am that silly!)

No comments: