Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Oneiric Ocelot: First Impression

My New Desktop

So...I finally had the guts to upgrade my Ubuntu OS.

First impression?

  • "Try it" was easy and as fast as Windows 7.
  • Liked what I saw during the "Try it" period.
  • Installation was easy! Took me 20 minutes to install the OS and wipe out Ubuntu 10.10.
  • Took hours just to download/update and install restricted repositories (that must be my connection).
  • Connecting via wi-fi is easy enough.
  • Sh** I can't find anything, everything is sooo disorganized.
  • Touch pad was not working at first (got it to work though! The power of rebooting).
  • HEADPHONE JACK IS WORKING! YEY!
  • Slow compared to 10.10
  • Unity is giving me a tough time.
  • I am not sure if I am liking the Launcher.
  • I've never used a Mac but base on simulators this is extremely Mac-ish.
  • Ubuntu Software Center is prone to freezing.
  • Slow response when you open an app. (I think I got good hardware inside this laptop, 10.10 was quick).
  • Ipod syncing is still not working. 
  • Everything freezes when I change settings using CCSM, I had to keep restarting.
  • I do like the workspaces but there is something wrong with it - can't seem to point out.
  • Not happy with the new terminal.
  • Not happy with the window menu bar, it's confusing me.
They said - first impressions don't last, ha! I hope so!

What do you think of Ubuntu 11.10?

Any advice on how I can organize my system and helpful apps?

Cheers!



No comments: